Why Elementary Counseling?
Elementary school years set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Through a comprehensive developmental school counseling program, counselors work as a team with the school staff, parents and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention, school counselors can help all children achieve academic success. (ASCA)
What Might You Find Mrs. DeVito Doing?
1. Classroom Counseling Lessons- I teach monthly lessons in each class focusing on academic achievement, career awareness, and personal/ social growth. Lessons allow me to get to know and build rapport with all students in the building.
2. Small Group Counseling- Lunch time counseling groups are available to all students at MIS. These are general support groups. Group topics that may be discussed include making friends, developing social skills, developing study skills, problem solving, building self-esteem, and more!
3. Individual Counseling- Some students may require individual counseling appointments to better address their needs. Please contact me if you feel your child would benefit from one on one counseling sessions. Keep in mind that outside counseling services may be recommended depending on the problem.
4. Conflict Resolution- I often meet with students to assist them in navigating through conflicts.
5. Anti-Bullying Specialist- I serve as the anti-bullying specialist for our school. As the anti-bullying specialist I make sure our school stays bully free and our students are educated about bullying and its impact. Please feel free to come to me if you have any questions or concerns regarding the Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying policy in our school or if your child has expressed concerns regarding bullying.
6. Community Resources- I coordinate with school staff and community resources to assist students and their families.
7. Crisis intervention and prevention- I serve on the emergency response team and respond if a crisis should occur on school grounds.
8. Intervention & Referral Services- I am the leader of the I&RS Team. If a student is having difficulty performing to their best ability their teacher may come to the Intervention & Referral Services Team for assistance. The I&RS team is a group of professionals who brainstorm interventions that can address the student and teacher's concern. Please see the I&RS page for more information.
9. 504 Plan Coordinator- I work with parents and teachers to support students who have medical diagnoses and who are in need of a 504 Accommodation Plan in school. Please see the 504 Plan page for more information.