*HEALTHY food suggestions!*
Below are some suggestions of healthier food options & brands that minimize added sugar and increase protein/vitamin intake. Paying close attention to maintaining a healthy diet will likely increase energy levels and improve performance in various sports!
***Please note- if you have a serious concern, please be sure to see a licensed nutritionist for help***
When possible, opt for:
- Non GMO
- High protein
- Low sugar
- Grass fed beef/meat
- Gluten free
- LEAST amount of processed ingredients
QUICK GRAB & GO healthier options:
- Fruit/veggies (dips such as peanut butter or ranch- optional: Ex. celery or apple w/ pb, carrot sticks w/ ranch)
- Pasture raised eggs (hard boil beforehand and pop in the fridge so they're ready to go)
- Protein powder (low sugar: Ex. Aloha, SunWarrior) mixed with unsweetened almond milk in a shaker cup (or fruit/veggies in a blender if you have time to make a smoothie)
- CHOMPS beef sticks
- NEW PRIMAL chicken/turkey sticks
- EPIC bars
- Nuts & seeds- Pistachios, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc. (IDEA: make your own trail mix- add cereal and a few dark chocolate chips)
- LARA bars
- GOMACRO bars
- RX bars
- SIMPLE MILLS brand crackers/chips/snacks/bread mix/muffin mix
- SIETE brand tortilla chips & snacks
- Organic string cheese
- Greek yogurt (Has tons of protein- but opt for PLAIN and add your OWN toppings such as honey, fruit, low-sugar granola or maple syrup)
- Make your own peanut butter crackers (Ex. Nut Thins & natural pb)
- MUSH brand overnight oats (in yogurt section at grocery store)
- DR. PRAEGARS- in frozen section- has a wide variety of veggie burgers, healthy tater tots, and other items
- APPLEGATE FARMS- frozen section- natural & sugar free chicken sausage, nuggets, turkey burgers, etc.
- THREE WISHES/SEVEN SUNDAYS brand cereals have protein, much less sugar than most & come in a variety of flavors
- LESSER EVIL brand snacks & popcorn
- THE GOOD CRISP- has healthier versions of Pringles & Cheese balls
- GOODPOP- healthier no added sugar- fruit juice popsicles
- JOVIAL brand pasta
MORE KID-FRIENDLY IDEAS:
- WHOLE GRAIN TOAST with peanut butter/almond butter/sunbutter (optional- add hemp seeds, blueberries, banana on top)
- Whole grain toast with 1/2 avocado & everything seasoning
- Whole grain toast with cream cheese & fruit
*Bread suggestion- Dave's killer bread- Powerseed: has low sugar and decent ingredients)*
- Same toppings as above but on rice cakes
- MINI PIZZAS: Whole grain (or grain free- Siete brand) wrap, spread tomato sauce (homemade or Victoria/Raos/any other brand with no added sugar), spread mozzarella cheese, sprinkle garlic powder and oregano on top. *OPTIONAL for added protein- Applegate farms (no nitrates added) pepperoni* Put in oven at 350, keep an eye until it looks crispy (5-8 mins).
- BARILLA RED LENTIL PASTA: loaded with protein. Add garlic and oil, or tomato sauce, sprinkle with Romano cheese. Perfect and easy if you're in a hurry.
- ROTISSERIE CHICKEN: (make sure no added hormones/natural)- perfect with a side such as a baked potato, brown or wild rice and/or small salad
*LEFTOVER IDEAS- make CHICKEN SALAD (shred chicken, add chopped celery & carrots, small amount of mayo, salt and pepper. Great for sandwiches, wraps, or scooping with crackers), QUESADILLAS- spread small amount of avocado oil or ghee on one side of wrap, flip and then spread salsa, chicken, Mexican cheese and taco seasoning. fold wrap and heat up on pan until crispy. If you're super hungry, just use 2 wraps, leave them both flat and put one on top of the other.
CHICKEN (or make it grassfed beef) NACHOS- spread tortilla chips on a plate (SIETE BRAND IS BEST!!! The "dip chips" if available), put chopped chicken on top, sprinkle taco seasoning, Mexican cheese, zap in microwave. Add salsa and guac if preferred.
CHICKEN SOUP- Bone broth, boil chopped carrots, celery & onion, add chicken & small amount of pasta (optional)
- ROASTED VEGGIES: When you roast veggies in the oven, they actually have a completely different flavor... try broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes (cut in cubes) or kale. Toss in avocado (or olive) oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast in the oven at about 375 until it looks toasty. This could take up to 45 mins for the broccoli/cauliflower. Sprinkle some more salt on top. It's the perfect healthy side dish.